Sunday, 21 September 2014

'Rest' day

I saw on tv that the very top riders in the world have things called 'rest days'. This sounded like a top plan to me so today i decided I would follow in their footsteps. Clearly this would  help my performance....on the bike...on the bike!

I also read that on rest days tour riders need to exercise and eat well, and so it was that I found myself heading for the chamber of horrors here known as the Gym.

The Gym here is well equipped, and tantalizingly close to a wonderful pool and sun terrace, not necessarily the best motivation I thought.





I choose a well situated torture machine  and set about figuring out how the dam thing worked. Clearly I was stronger than I thought as the first push sent the 'weights' hurling skyward. I re-adjusted the weights added another to make two in total. No point in overdoing things.  The room was clearly designed by the Spanish inquisition, various instruments of torture in every corner. I found a rowing machine and rowed across the swimming pool below at least 50 times in my mind.

Three youngsters came it and started playing with some dumbells, lifting them. Aha! So that is what one does with them I thought, and set about an extreme & dedicated resistance regime.



I spent nearly 90 minutes tortuting myself in this manner, all the time telling myself it would help me on the bike. I shall let you know in a few weeks, months...years?? If this is true or not.

Such olympian efforts require a dedicated recovery regime. So it was off to the cafe for a healthy lunch, then off to maximise the benefits of siesta time. It's a tough life, but somebody has to do it.

In the meantime Rubic hasn't even left the appartment, the lazy git!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.