Friday, 4 April 2014

Ride two -memechet


I overslept untl 11.30, I must really have been tired, I think I allowed the the uk to take its toll on me this winter more than I knew. So after a breakfast of porridge oats and 2 litres of Evian I was ready to roll. Todays target was a village called memechet and I figured on it being about a 30 mile ride all in. The road there is all first class surface with few hills, although there was a fierce cross wind coming in off the sea both there and back. I always feel so free riding abroad on a bicycle, and the roads here are a joy. The drivers here are 99% relaxed and cool around cyclists, giving space and often waving hello. The bug lorries however, like all over the world, are driven by morons still.
Welcome to Mehmetcik
Typical view along the roadside
The inner thread on the crank arm 50% ripped out
 I was cruising along on the aero bars at about 23mph when my left foot felt a weird wobble from the spd peddle. It got unridable and a quick pirstop under an olive tree revealed a suspected ripped crank thread. I managed to walk the last five miles back from Bogaz and took a closer look in the appartment. Not good news. The inner thread on the crank is 50% gone. I've given it a good clean and refitted the pedal using the remaining 50% of the thread. The pedal seems secure but I won't find out until the next ride. The word Bollox was uttered.
So, the nearest bike shoo is in famagusta and that isn't really geared up for road bikes.

I can only hope the remaining thread is sufficiant to hold the pedal in , especially with the incredibly torque it will take on the climbs in the mountains here soon.
So that was the ride today , and I got an extra bonus hike in as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.